Thursday, February 11, 2010

Would getting into the olympics be good for agility?

With all the Olympic brouhaha going on it got me thinking of a topic some agility enthusiasts like to talk about. They usually talk about will it get in, should it get in etc. I got to thinking what it would mean for agility, how it could change agility.

I think it would be a very good thing. Right now there are two main "worlds" competitions. One is the FCI which is Kennel Club based and IFCS which is not. In many places in the US and in other countries the only place to play agility is the KC versions. I am lucky to live in Ontario where AAC is the predominant venue, which welcomes all types of dogs.

If agility ever makes it into the olympics I am pretty positive they won't discriminate on breed. (the countries picking their teams might though, but right now in FCI if your country doesn't reg your breed you can't play.. even if the FCI reg your breed.) I think this will be a very healthy thing, it will promote inclusive venues over exclusive ones. It will open up more opportunities for rescued dogs and for people running non KC breeds (like JRTs).

The KC folk will likely rebutt with well then you will get people mixing breeds to try to breed the ultimate agility dog. To that I say so what? People do that now. And who laid down the rule that says that all breeds we have now are the only ones we shall ever have? Take horses for example, most competing at the olympic level are registered, but not all. Some registries except other breeds as long as the offspring meet the breed requirements. All is not kaos. And with dogs these sport bred puppies will likley be in demand so not really a risk at adding to the over population problem.

So as I watch some olympic coverage from my puter, I will wish for the day when I could cheer for team Canada and their dogs to get a medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment