Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Starting 2x2 weaves


Dekka and Kaiden both learnt weaving by shaping. A couple of years ago at the AAC (agility association of Canada) Nationals I bought Shaping Success by Susan Garrett. Great book, entertaining and very informative I recommend it highly to anyone who likes border collies, agility or wants to understand how to train a very difficult dog to a very high degree in a positive manner. This book has lots of great training help. The 2x2 weave method is well outlined in the book.

A friend of mine left her 2x2 weaves here to visit for the winter so I pulled them into the isleway of my barn along with a jump and started training. I have 3 dogs who need to learn weaves. Kat, 6 month old JRT, Sport, my son's 2 year old very loud BC, and Bounce my 2 year old long haired whippet. My son, Darien, and I took Kat and Sport out to the barn. Dekka escaped the house to join us. (she is tricky like that) Sport picked up the basic idea very quickly. Kat was good but found the barn itself very exciting. Dekka already knows how to weave but I put two poles on a nasty angle after the jump and we worked at finding the entrance.

I will update as things progress.

1 comment:

  1. well, you can't blame Kat... barns are terribly exciting! :-)

    ReplyDelete